Let the fun begin. My new motto is going to be: Just One More Mile.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Saturday, August 20th

Weather - Pitch black out, 70 degrees when we started. Sunny and 77 degrees when we ended.  Humidity was a ridiculous 90%.  Ugh! 

Clothing - Black running shorts (compression, biker style), Short sleeve tech shirt (rockstar),  and Camelbak

Nutrition -   Ate a banana and cliff bar before the run. During the run:  85+ oz powerade/water mix. A GU at mile 7 and another GU at mile 11.5.

Route -  Did the Mount Vernon Trail.  Parked at Dangerfield Island.  Went 4.5 miles in the direction of the airport, turned around.  Went 2.5 miles towards Mount Vernon, turned around.  Did the last 1.5 miles back towards the airport and turned around to finish the 17 miles.

Distance Completed:  17 miles

Time:  Started at 5:45am, took 3 hours, 39 minutes.

T., J.W.and I met for the run.  A. joined us for the last 11 miles. We started out together until it started getting light, then T. went at her own pace and ran ahead.  J.W. and I did a good job of running together until I desperately had to go to the bathroom.  This was at mile 6.5 and needed to walk until I got to the port-a-potty at Gravelly Point.

J.W. and I met up again at the car when we were refueling and ran together from mile 9 to mile 14.  At this point, I really needed to walk more and Jen went on ahead.  I found the temperature really stifling and hot.  It was hard to breathe and the lack of cool air was making it difficult to keep running.

Anything I'd do different?  Yes, I discovered I need to make sure I am wearing better underwear.  I believe I got a little chub rub under my right butt cheek.  Will use body glide on the next long run and see if that helps.

Also, I am happy to report that socks I wore didn't cause any blisters and will only wear my Thorlo socks for the long runs.

Mid-week runs - ran 5 miles on Tuesday, ran 4 miles on Thursday; both on the treadmill at the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment